Wednesday, June 24, 2015

21 Months Post BC: Mini Twists on Thin Natural Hair

Hello World and Naturalistas !


Today I'm going to talk about how to achieve cute Mini Twists on Thin/Fine Natural Hair.



I'm not sure how many people have fine/thin natural hair and whether it's genetic, due to age or disease but I know that when I see other people with such thick luscious hair I wish it were me. If you are that person, I hope this post can inspire you to accept and love your hair for what it is, no matter how it is.

I tried this style previously back in February and this is how it looked. 


As you can see the parts were very spaced out. At the time, a coworker of mine with natural hair had done the twists on herself. It was full and they were juicy/chunky/luscious. When I did mine I wanted my actual twists to look just as hers did. At the time what I failed to realize was that we had different types of her and what worked for her in doing mini twists would not work for me.

I kept that style just how it's styled in the photo for one week. To be honest I was self-conscious about how I looked in it.

DECISIONS, DECISIONS:

Any who I took to YouTube for new hairstyles, Hairstyles that would keep me out of my hair for long periods of time. I also wanted to step away from hairstyles that would damaging to my hair, ends, or edges. I came across mini twists, again! This time I refined the YouTube search to Fine/Thin hair. I watched a couple of videos and decided to try them again.


THROW BACK:

When I did them in February I used freshly blow dried hair and Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing smoothie. This time I did it on 3 day old blow dried twist out hair. So my hair already had product
sitting in it and was stretched from two days of previous styling. 


STYLING:




I separated my hair in three sections. one ponytail on the left and two on the right. I started in the right back bottom section first. I find it easier this way because then I always see what I'm doing. If I start at the top of the section the hair tends to fall and get in the way. 

The difference between this time and last time: I did not use a comb to part. Because I have fine/thin using a comb to part creates deep parts that give me obvious spacing between my twists, which I don't need so I used my fingers to part instead. I judged the amount of hair I was using to make sure that I wasn't using too much or too little. In February, I used too much hair. I moisturized each section with Cantu Shea Butter Argan Leave-In (that's it) because that's all I brought with me on vacation. It took me 2 hours to complete, an hour on each side.

FINAL PRODUCT:


Here's some photos












No comments:

Post a Comment