Sunday, June 21, 2015

21 Months Post BC: Dry Twistout Results

Hey World and Naturalistas!

Two Days ago I  took out my three week old Crochet Senegalese twists install. I decided to wear my natural hair out for a few weeks to give it the time to breathe. I wanted to do a dry twist out because I have thin natural hair and it makes my hair look thicker. If you're interested in the process, keep reading.



 First I wash my hair with Head and Shoulders Almond Milk Shampoo. Then I rinsed with warm water. I followed that with Vo5 conditioner. I generously distributed the conditioner through my hair, left it in and added olive oil. I put a plastic grocery bag over my head for about 10 minutes. Then rinsed with cool water. 

I separated in four sections and I blow dried my hair out one section at a time.

(I took the ponytail holders out)

Then I separated one side from the next. Usually when I do dry twist outs, I like to have a middle part but I always get a deep part right down the center of my entire head that's difficult to hide. so this time I tried a different technique. 

  Before I twisted I added these two products

- Cantu Shea Butter Argan Oil Leave-In Conditioner
- Shea Moisture Curling Gel Souffle'

I added the Cantu sparingly to the ends of my hair and the gel souffle sparingly to each section. The point is to add just enough moisture to create definition but not too much that will create shrinkage. I used the gel souffle to get a bit of a hold. 

S.B. The Argan Oil Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioner purchase was actually an accident! I meant to purchase the original one instead. If you are interested in a review of the Argan Oil stay tuned, I will post one shortly.

If you have thin hair like me and want your twist outs to look full my advice is, create bigger sections. To avoid the big part down the middle of my hair I did flat twist on the top half and single twists underneath them.

 (Pictured below)




When I was all done twisting I spritz my hair with water from my spray bottle, again, just enough to create definition but not so much that it creates shrinkage. I pinned down the twists so that they wouldn't get displaced from sleeping. (this is to prevent a stubborn piece of hair from sticking out in the morning)

I went to sleep with a satin bonnet. In the morning I carefully took down the twists. I did not use any additional oil on my hands/fingers during the take-down as most Youtube tutorials advise. I separated the twists where they separated naturally and where I needed to separate to create extra volume.  I also used a wide tooth comb in place of hairpick to get rid of any parts.
(Here is the final result)





(Definition Shot)


Looking at how raggedy my ends are. Its definitely time for a trim! I know a lot of people care more about length than health and sometimes wonder if they really need to trim their hair.
If you're interested look out for post that I will write titled
 "When you know its time to trim your hair" .




No comments:

Post a Comment