Tuesday, July 14, 2015

22 Months Post BC: How I Retain Moisture in My Natural Hair

Hello World and Naturalistas !


Today I'm going to be discussing a few ways I retain moisture in my natural hair.



 It's not about products, as much as it is about technique. If you're having problems keeping your hair moisturized and are interested in new tips then keep on reading.


1. I do not wash my hair often

At the beginning of my journey I used to wash my hair every single week, even every couple days. It wasn't necessarily because my hair was dirty but because my scalp was itchy. I would wash with shampoos because that was the only way to stop the itching. This caused my hair to dry out badly. Once I found out how to combat my itchy scalp I washed my hair when it needed to be washed. In the mean time I add a whole bunch of water, products, and oil to my hair, when necessary or when styling that helps it stay moisturized.

2. Protective Styling

In the winter the cold air can dry out your hair, So it is often recommended that you do protective styling which is anything from an updo to some braids...anything that will keep in moisture. It is not only important apply moisture when styling but to add continuously to make sure it remains moisturized for that time frame.

3. Wearing a scarf or bonnet

I don't know about you but cotton sucks all of the juices out of my hair. Last month when I had crochet braids in I neglected using a scarf for the 3 weeks I had the style in. I tried to compensate for it by moisturizing every couple days. But my hair was no match for that cotton pillow case. When I took down the style my hair was SO dry. Moral of the story: Tie down your hair at night! It's okay if you happen to be lazy or forget a couple nights but be as consistent as possible for maximum hydration. OR if you don't want to have to tie down your hair every night invest in a silk or satin pillowcase. Katt Williams uses one! lol

I may have spoken on things you already know about but you may not be putting this simple actions into practice. If this applies to  you then it's time to get back to the basics! Happy, Healthy Hair is what's important. 

If you're interested in the products I use to moisturize my hair.. check out this post

>>My Updated Natural Hair Regimen<<

I hope you find this helpful :)


No comments:

Post a Comment