Thursday, May 21, 2015

18-19 Months Post BC: Perm Rod Set Result

Hello WORLD and Naturalistas !!

I remember when I was about one month post BC and I bought the really skinny pink perm rods because I wanted to do a perm rod set. Let me tell you my hair was about 1 inch and would NOT stay on the rod no matter how many bobby pins I used. So I gave up struggling with that and put them away for a while. For next couple months after that I resorted to two strand twist outs and protective styles like Marley Twists.

Now that my hair is longer I decided to bust out the perm rods. I actually saw a tutorial on YouTube and went out and bought white rods forgetting that I already had pink ones. I did this over Spring Break for experimental purposes, just in case it came out bad. lol.


This time around I decided to use the spiraling method, where you spin the rod in a circle so you get spiral curls instead of just rolling it up and getting Shirley temple curls. Personally, I like to start from the top down to get the rod as close to my scalp as possible (to avoid bushy roots) and then smooth the ends down with gel. Many people recommend doing the very opposite to avoid getting frizzy ends. In my opinion, if your ends get that frizzy you may need a trim.

Here's a look at my whole head is filled with rollers. I used the bigger rollers in the middle because my hair is a completely different texture in the back and I wanted it to look fuller.

 For this rod set I just used water and Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner for a soft hold. I completed this style on old dry hair, Here's the result:

Because I did not use any holding cream or gel on this style it only lasted about 3 days (barely) before it started to look bad. I brushed up the sides and attempted to create a Frohawk with this style.



I loved this style so much that I decided that I wanted it for Easter Sunday. This time using Cantu Shea butter and EcoStyler Argan Oil Gel. Unfortunately, I did have a little bit of flaking. (I never had that issue with the EcoStyler Olive Oil Gel & Cantu Leave-In Mix).

Here's the style on Day Two:

I used Creme of Nature Argan Oil Edge control to SLAY my edges. I also used pink rods,I found that the smaller the rod the longer it lasts, I'm sure the gel helped too. 

Look out for more Natural Hair Styles in Future posts!







No comments:

Post a Comment