Sunday, February 1, 2015

16 Months Post BC: My Natural Hair Staple Products (Updated)

I have been natural for over a year. In the beginning I was a major product junkie that bought ever natural hair product I saw on social media. But now that I'm 16 months post Big Chop  I have some  products that I use for my hair daily. Check them out!

Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo, Conditioner, and Curl Enhancing Smoothie



I originally bought these products in the small travel size kit for $20 just to try them out. Then right after I ended up buying the Shea Moisture Yucca and Baobab Line travel kit. (at that time I was a real product junkie) Long story short, I hadn't given my self enough time to thoroughly review the Coconut & Hibiscus Line and assumed that I didn't like it when in reality, I was blinded by how good the Yucca & Baobab line smelled. The truth of the matter was that my hair really didn't like the Yucca and Baobab Oil Line. So this past weekend Walgreen's was having a BOGO Free sale and on that Sunday I went to pick up these products. After one use my hair felt sooo soft and moisturized. Since Shea Moisture's Shampoos are Sulfate-Free I use these products in between Deep Cleansing periods.


Eco Styler with Olive Oil

I LOVE LOVE this gel ... I can use it with just about any product and it will not flake. It brings out my true curl pattern when I do a wash-n-go and it lays my edges when necessary. I have no complaints about this gel. I know that Eco Styler has many other types of gel but this is the second one I bought, tried, loved and actually finished. I am currently waiting to restock.

Click HERE to see the results from a washNgo with the Original Eco Stlyer Gel


Organix Renewing Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo and Conditioner

An old friend gave me this Shampoo because she did not like it for her hair type. She has very curly hair, maybe about 3c. Although this is a sulfate shampoo I do not feel like my strands are being stripped of it's moisture when I use it. But as a sidebar if my hair is really dry I will do a pre-poo before washing with sulfate shampoo to avoid drying out my hair. During my Walgreens escapade I decided to pick up the matching conditioner since I liked the shampoo so much. I use this when I want to do a full cleanse for my scalp and hair after my hair gets a lot of build-up from constant product use.



Creme of Nature with Argan Oil From Morocco Edge Control
 
I have tried the Olive Oil brand edge control and it leaves this yucky white paste on my edges and it doesn't last all day! My mom is fairly newly natural and suggested that I try this Creme of Nature edge control because it worked great for her. We have the same type of hair, so I was hoping we'd get the same results and sure enough my edges stayed slick all day with no white icky patches. It was just as good as the Eco Styler gel, if not a temporary replacement for it. (Since I am still waiting to restock) I don't always do styles where having sleek edges are necessary but it's good to have a product that works when I need it.





Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioning Cream



This product was in my first Staple Product Post (which you can find >HERE<), and still is now months later! I used to use this as a pre-poo and I still do when I feel I need a moisture and protein boost.



Organics by Africa's Best Hair Mayonnaise


This product was in my first Staple Product Post as well. I mix this with the Cantu Shea Butter when I'm doing a protein treatment on my hair. My hair is color-treated and therefore needs protein more often than normal non color treated hair. I love mixing the products two together.

Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque


This product I love to use as a deep conditioner. I will admit that the product feels weird laying on my hair but once it's rinsed out my hair feels soft and does bring out my curls.

100% All Natural Honey
 
Honey is a humectant. A humectant attracts moisture (with the help of heat) Adding honey to my deep conditioner(s); whether for protein or moisture honey helps my hair to gain moisture. I wash this out with warm water then shock my hair cuticles with cool water to lock in the moisture.

No comments:

Post a Comment